Inca Trail Hike to Machu Picchu: Day 1

UPDATE! The full story of our Inca Trail Hike – and much more – is now available in paperback and as a full-color eBook (free read for Kindle Unlimited members) on Amazon. In “An Uphill Climb – Survivor’s Guilt and the Inca Trail” you will find practical advice for preparing for the Inca Trail, and follow along with colorful pictures as Rita and I make our attempt.

This is not your typical Inca Trail book.

There is the story of pain and loss leading up to a new life that should be a happy ending, but instead is tainted by guilt and feelings of unworthiness. You will get a fascinating glimpse of expat life in Ecuador, as we take advantage of our home in South America to train in the Andes. As I share stories of his my few months as a widower, you will even get a peak behind the curtains of working in the US Senate.

From the ups and downs of the loss of childhood innocence, dealing with cancer and death, finding love again, and fighting depression, you will experience an emotional journey every bit as difficult as the Inca Trail itself just to get to that first checkpoint at Kilometer 82 in Piskacucho, Perú.

After all of the preparation and pain, will we make it to Machu Picchu? If we do, it will be An Uphill Climb.

Tags: , , , ,

9 Comments

• Fred Sobotincic says:

Sounds like a great hike so far,..I’m sure you guys felt great doing it,..

• Sue Watson says:

Enjoying hearing about your journey – and it great your first day was such a success! Looking forward to the story of your 2nd day!

• Marilyn Cunningham says:

Anxiously awaiting Day 2!!

• Vera Maligec says:

Loved the pics and the detailed account of your remarkable first day. Walking the trail with porters, setting up camp in style reminded me of those great stories of safaries in the Dark Continent.

• Stacey Stovall says:

Awesome accounting of your first day. I was on a tour in the Manu Biosphere Reserve in 2012. Our cook said he normally worked the Inca Trail. He explained how they prepare all that food on the trail. His was the best cooking I had while in Peru, so it’s not surprising that you were eating such delicious meals!

• Scott says:

Can’t get the picture out of my head… I’ll get to it in a second.
    First have to say that your ongoing updates over the past …. year or more?… have been appreciated.
    You could have stated simple facts about such an endeavor and we would have still have had a sense of how difficult it would be to accomplish.
    But the time span spent on the topic , all of the hard work you and Rita did to prepare, all of the “practice hikes”, from volcano craters to the daily 19 story trek up to your condo via the stairway TWICE a day, as well as numerous other examples over the past year, has provided depth to such a hard earned accomplishment.
    And such detail ! All of the itineraries and maps showing the daily route. I seem to recall altitudes described on some of the maps
    Which brings me back to that picture stuck in my head:
    Misty morning. Some humidity burning away .Lots of green plants and more than a few stone steps. Enjoying the view and looking down below to see a slow moving river, a guide, maybe wearing a light windbreaker and baseball cap, his right arm pointing to specific spot across the river,
    In broken english ” over there is the easy trail”……