Inca Trail Hike to Machu Picchu: Day 1

Our long awaited Inca Trail Hike began for us the night before the first day of hiking, at 6:30pm on Sunday, August 27, 2017, when we met our guide Fletcher for the pre-trek orientation. Maybe it was my imagination, but it looked like he flinched a bit when he saw us coming across the hotel lobby. I can hardly blame him if he did – at 59 and 66, we probably did not look like his average clients. But at least we had booked a private tour, so he only had us to worry about.

He recovered well, and launched into what was clearly an oft-repeated litany. We received our duffle bags, which were for our sleeping bags and an additional 7 kilos of items. This would be what the porters carried for us, so we would not have access until camp each night. The idea is you keep only what you need for the day in your backpack, and swap out clean clothes for dirty each evening.

Then he took out a map of the route, and went over in detail what each day would be like, where we would eat, where we would sleep, and what Inca ruins we would see along the way. He immediately threw some cold water on our enthusiasm and confidence from the previous day’s events, by describing the trip in pretty stark terms, and using words like “steep steps”, “steep incline”, and “steep downhill” a lot. A few questions from us, and he shook hands and said he would pick us up at 4:30am to take us to the trail head.

I don’t know if it was nerves or what, but neither of us slept much that night. In fact, we didn’t even get to bed until 11pm, which is not good when you have to get up at 3am. So we started our 4-day journey off with a less than ideal three hours of sleep.

Nevertheless, we were packed, downstairs, checked out, had our suitcases in storage for our return, and ready to go at 4:20am. Fletcher was waiting with a comfortable white van and a driver, so we were off to meet our destiny.

We thought we might be picking up more hikers, as the van had seats for at least 10 people – but no, it was private tour all the way. After about an hour and a half on the road, we arrived at a small hotel and coffee shop outside of Ollantaytambo just as it was getting light out. We were given 15-20 minutes for coffee and bathroom, and then were in the center of town 10 minutes later to pick up our porters.

Rita and I at our morning coffee stop. Still clean!

A little confusion there, as apparently all the porters wanted our group. About 12 of them jumped into the van, and the head porter finally had to call off names and get the others to scram. With a now full van, we took off for the last stop before it would all be foot-power.

Another 45 minutes on bouncy gravel and dirt roads, and we were at the end of the line. We parked in a rather nondescript gravel lot near the banks of the Rio Urubamba, where a green tarp was spread on the ground for our duffles and backpacks. Then there was little to do but hang around until our breakfast was prepared.

Breakfast, served in a parking lot.

Soon a card table was setup, and covered with a colorful tablecloth. Our stools (which we would become very familiar with over the next few days) were placed at table, and we were called to breakfast. Scrambled eggs, some pan bread, a little lunch meat, cheese, fruit salad and coca tea – it was the least-impressive meal we would be served during the hike. When we finished, we were given a banana and a pack of cookies each for morning trail snacks, and were told we had a few minutes to go use a normal, functioning toilet for one last time before we got underway.

Which unfortunately, leads me to an uncomfortable, yet integral, part of the tale. This was Monday morning. I don’t know if it was nerves, high altitude, or God’s sense of humor, but the last bowel movement I had was on Friday. This was my last chance to drop a sacrifice at the porcelain altar before facing a series of bushes and squat toilets. Alas, it was not to be.

Finally, we were strapped into our packs, and ready to go! We left the porters behind to clean up and pack, and walked down to the check-in point for the Inca Trail. Big moment! Time to show our passports and our entry permit. They examined our documents, and stamped the entry papers. We had to wait until we got word our porters had passed their gate, and then we were on the footbridge across the Urubamba, and at long last, officially on our way. It was 9:26am, August 28, 2017.

The happy couple, at Kilometer 82. Only 26 miles to go!

Rita crossing the Urubamba

The trail starts off pretty easy, with a wide path of compacted sand and small stones. Although the very first hill surprised Rita – it really was not much of a hill, I moved right on up, but Rita said it was a little too soon after breakfast, and she felt her heart pounding. I asked our guide jokingly, “So that was Dead Woman’s Pass? That wasn’t so bad!”

Easy going, at first

But we settled down, and enjoyed the first part of the hike through the beautiful valley. In fact, we became a little frustrated with the slow pace the guide was setting, and goosed him on a little. About an hour and a half in, we saw our first Incan ruin (although we had been passing stone terraces everywhere) on the opposite side of the river. Fletcher pointed out a trail over there that follows the Urubamba all the way to Machu Picchu – the “easy Inca Trail” he called it.

Now he tells us.

The train on its way back from Aguas Calientes

Our first Inca ruin sighting. You can see the “easy trail” just above it.

By 11am, the trail was starting to noticeably rise. We stopped at a small farm to eat our snacks and shed some clothing, as the day was turning warm. I took off my rain pants to walk in my shorts, which turned out to be a real treat for the local insects.

As we got back underway, Fletcher had apparently decided we were doing well enough to take a little detour. Instead of following the more or less level-but-trending-upward main path, he took us off to the side on an alternate. This introduced us to our first serious stone steps, although the going was still relatively easy. We still were having areas of flat, slight hill, some steps, repeat.

Heading up!

After our steepest section yet, we were rewarded with a break at an Inca ruin site that overlooked a larger site, Llactapata, below us. We took some time to look around and take some pictures, and then suited up again for the hike to lunch.

Showing off my legs above Llactapata

Better view of Llactapata

Part of our hilltop-ruin, a lookout area for Llactapata

We arrived at our lunch site in Hatunchaca at 2pm in pretty good spirits, and to the applause of our porters. We were hiking well, no aches or pains, and in spite of having only 3 hours sleep and being up for 11 hours, we were feeling great. We had also made it to lunch in the allowed 4.5 hours, so we were on pace as well.

Lunch stop!

Then we saw something that really raised our spirits – our personal toilet tent! We had been concerned for quite some time by all the horrors stories (all true, btw) we had heard about how difficult to use and outright filthy the squat toilets were on the trail. So imagine our delight to see that our private tour included a little tent with a small chemical toilet -with a seat! Incredible luxury!

A happy camper!

Unfortunately, I was still coming up blank on my attempts to use this little marvel, but I’ve rarely seen Rita so pleased. Gives me ideas about a good anniversary present next year.

The gift that keeps on giving

This was the first of our meals on the trail, and like all of those to come, it was exceptional. We had soup, chicken with vegetables, rice, a salad, choclo with cheese, potatoes, and homemade chips with guacamole. Some juice and more coca tea and we were practically sloshing as we got ready to press on for the final two hours of hiking.


From here the trail became gradually steeper, introducing more and more of the stone steps and irregular paths that would soon become the norm. But we did very well, stopping only at the Wayllabamba check point to get our entry tickets stamped once again.

A soon-to-be-familiar sight

Our guide, Fletcher, stops to help a local re-position a pack.

Just after 5pm, we strolled triumphantly into our camp site at Ayapata, once again to the applause of our porters who had leapfrogged ahead of us. Our tents were setup and waiting (along with the special potty tent). They provided an insulating mat, an inflatable pad, and a pillow. Here we got another nice treat from Alpaca Expeditions – two containers of warm water, a soap dispenser, and two towels! What a treat!

Hail the conquering heroes!

Home sweet home

We used these precious items to clean up in our tents, and changed into our clothes for the next day. Feeling refreshed and like human beings again, we emerged from the tent in time for a little ceremony to introduce us to our support crew.

After that, we had “happy hour”, hot coffee, tea or cocoa in the dinner tent, served in this case with cookies and popcorn. We chatted about the day while the cook finished cooking dinner.

Dinner was even bigger than lunch. Another great soup, chicken in a sauce with carrots and red peppers, rice, fried eggplant with cheese, and steamed vegetables.

Well fed, once again

On the way back to our tents, we were treated to clear skies, and a glimpse of the Milky Way. One last visit to the potty tent (no joy for me, again), and we spent a surprisingly comfortable night, snug in our sleeping bags.

A very successful first day. Amazingly so really, when you consider we only had three hours of sleep the previous night, and had a very long 17-hour day. We had covered just over 9 miles in a little less than the average time. We started the day at 8,677 feet, and camped at 10,859 feet. We were feeling great, and other than my reluctant bowels, no problems at all.

Of course, we knew the most difficult day would start in the morning, as on Day 2 we would have to summit two +13,000 feet passes, beginning with Dead Woman’s Pass.

To be continued ….

Tags: , , , ,


  • Fred Sobotincic says:

    Sounds like a great hike so far,..I’m sure you guys felt great doing it,..

  • Sue Watson says:

    Enjoying hearing about your journey – and it great your first day was such a success! Looking forward to the story of your 2nd day!

  • Marilyn Cunningham says:

    Anxiously awaiting Day 2!!

  • Vera Maligec says:

    Loved the pics and the detailed account of your remarkable first day. Walking the trail with porters, setting up camp in style reminded me of those great stories of safaries in the Dark Continent.

  • Stacey Stovall says:

    Awesome accounting of your first day. I was on a tour in the Manu Biosphere Reserve in 2012. Our cook said he normally worked the Inca Trail. He explained how they prepare all that food on the trail. His was the best cooking I had while in Peru, so it’s not surprising that you were eating such delicious meals!

  • Scott says:

    Can’t get the picture out of my head… I’ll get to it in a second.
    First have to say that your ongoing updates over the past …. year or more?… have been appreciated.
    You could have stated simple facts about such an endeavor and we would have still have had a sense of how difficult it would be to accomplish.
    But the time span spent on the topic , all of the hard work you and Rita did to prepare, all of the “practice hikes”, from volcano craters to the daily 19 story trek up to your condo via the stairway TWICE a day, as well as numerous other examples over the past year, has provided depth to such a hard earned accomplishment.
    And such detail ! All of the itineraries and maps showing the daily route. I seem to recall altitudes described on some of the maps
    Which brings me back to that picture stuck in my head:
    Misty morning. Some humidity burning away .Lots of green plants and more than a few stone steps. Enjoying the view and looking down below to see a slow moving river, a guide, maybe wearing a light windbreaker and baseball cap, his right arm pointing to specific spot across the river,
    In broken english ” over there is the easy trail”……

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.